Okay, I don't have access to the 'mommy moment' but I'm sure you all won't mind if I put up a little post. So, here it goes....
We've had a pretty rough week with crazy weather, kids with snotty noses, and just lots going on. I am sad to say that I've really lost my patience on more than one occassion with my toddler. Last night at mutual we had Sister Anderson speak to the Young Women about making it to the temple. One thing she said really made an impression. She said that Satan knows what we've been taught, how we are supposed to live and exactly how to push those buttons that keep us going from day to day. It is the little, daily things that he works on that eventually put us at a point of feeling like we are at a stand-still.
I couldn't focus on the rest of the talk. The only thing I could think about was how my job as a mother is the most important job I could have. We have a HUGE responsibility to teach and lead with love, PATIENCE and kindness. It was then I decided this was a battle I was willing to fight to the end for. Now, not that I don't try to do these things but the thought gave me a new perspective on parenting and my will to try harder to count to ten, stop cleaning so I can read a few stories and take 20 extra minutes at dinner to let him help. To take the time to teach my baby to sit up and actually play with her instead of taking advantage of the fact that she'll lay on the floor and play and be happy.
At first I was overwhelmed and even more uncertain than before. However, after much prayer and comptemplation (sp) I realized something even better. What a privledge I have! I get to be at home and completely control what goes in and out of my home and teach and play and love and be with my kids! An even greater realization (from Elder Ballard's talk) is that I can only do my best, and Heavenly Father knows that and doesn't expect more or less! And where I fail, the Savior will make up for it! What a relief!
So, to end my novel (sorry) this is what it's all about! One day at a time and even more important, one moment at a time. I still wasn't very patient today but I tried to do my best and tomorrow is a new day. I don't think that him spending what seemed like half the day in the corner will affect him in his 20's but me taking the time to sing, play and read stories will. Keep up the good work guys. Yes, our task is overwhelming at times and even scary when we look at the world we live in but President Hinckley always said what a marvelous time it is to be alive! Heavenly Father knows we aren't perfect and our parenting won't be either. It's okay. Our kids still love us and it is vital that we don't beat ourselves up over a bad day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Oh Gosh Courtney, You always hit the nail on the head! It is soooo hard sometimes and there are MANY days that I feel the same way. You are such a good mom and a perfectionist when it come to putting moments into perspective! Thanks for your super advice! Love it! Just need to remember to use it!
ITA! thanks C!
Well said and great points. You are a wonderful example to us all and thank you for sharing your good insights. I feel ya on the whole patience thing and am trying to improve myself. I've got a long way to go but the ride will be fun!
you are SO my hero Courtney! Thank you for sharing your insight!
Thanks Courtney- that was my uplifting moment of the day! I SO need to work on the patience thing. Why is it that our toddlers seem to know just the right buttons to push!?!?!
Post a Comment