Thursday, May 8, 2008

Books for older kids

Hey ladies! I am wanting to get all of my nieces and nephews books for their birthdays this year. They range in age from 4 on up. Do you guys know of any super fun books for older kids? I'm not used to buying stuff for older kids, and I don't think they would appreciate Sandra Boynton quite as much as Ivy and I do! Thanks!

4 comments:

The Boring Family said...

I'm all about Little Critter books by Mercer Mayer when my kids get older. And, if I remember from being a kid, they are paperback (i.e. cheaper) and always have a good lesson to learn. I also like Bernstein Bears. But, Sandra Boynton is definitely the way to go when they are young!

Carie Annie said...

ok my 6year-old loves The Magic School Bus books, he can't quite read everything in them yet but they are great for 6 and up.

My boys LOVE Trouble at the Dinosaur Cafe by Brian Moses http://www.amazon.com/Trouble-Dinosaur-Cafe-Brian-Moses/dp/0802795994 good for 4 and up

And my boys also LOVE I-SPY books, anykind! for 4 and up

Natalie said...

Thanks guys!

The Carlson Crew said...

Nat, I just emailed my best friend from high school, Sarah, who has taught 3rd and 5th grades and is, I swear, the most knowledgeable children's literature expert. She just suggested to me the "David" books by David Shannon. Apparently, they are great for older little boys. I'm going to pick one up for Kay's bday. Good luck! And great gift idea, by the way.