Friday, May 9, 2008

Family Scripture Study Time

I was just thinking about the poll on the side bar, and like most of you we read scriptures at bed time. But it isn't really "family scripture study" as soon as family prayer is over I start reading the scriptures to the kids until they fall asleep...

What kinds of things do you do? Do you take turns reading a verse...? When I was growing up we read at the dinner table and and took turns reading and eating and we had some great gospel discussion come out of that...

Anyway I try to let my kids ask questions and we talk about it a little bit but mostly they are supposed to be quiet and fall asleep... I know it's not ideal but at least I'm doing it, and most of the time they beg me to read the scriptures at night or they can't fall asleep.

3 comments:

Skinners said...

We do family scripture study before family prayers. After we put jammies on we sit down and read. Logan gets a turn to read (he repeats what we say) and LOVES it. We try and make him sit still but if he gets a little restless we either give him his turn then or tell him he doesn't get a turn if he can't settle down. This works really well (doesn't sound like that is your problem though).

Seth got me the family Book of Mormon for Christmas. It is huge and is full of pictures, questions, definitions and my favorite part.... it breaks down the chapters into little sections and gives you a small heading to tell you what is going on. Great way to keep kids on track. This even works for Logan (as much as my 2 year old can comprehend anyway). We read then discuss it.

Okay, so a long story short, we read before prayers and give ourselves about 1/2 and hour before bedtime to do it. That way we don't have a huge rush and Logan isn't so tired that we end up putting him to bed before we are through. It works well for us. Good luck!

Carie Annie said...

thanks Courney!

The Evers said...

We love the Book of Mormon for the family too! It is great, especially for the school age children!!!