Wednesday, May 21, 2008
Parenting Book Review
I'm not sure if I posted about this before, but does anyone have any suggestions on parenting books? Like potty-training books (Mackenzie, thanks for your suggestion), discipline, teaching, etc.? Has anyone read the Love and Logic books? What do you think of them? Are they worth looking in to? I'd like to update the parenting book review section. Will someone let me know if there are books they like?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I like the book, Back In Control, Greg Bodenhamer... My Mom pretty much lived by it and we all turned out alright (At least I think so!!) I've got it if anyone wants to borrow it, it's a short read and very old-school... there is even a parenting program based on it... ok, the end.
I liked The Baby Whisperer by Tracy Hogg, but it only helps with new born infants, really good for new moms.
Right now I'm reading (on and off) THe Potentially Sane Mothers Guide to Raising Small Children by Tamera A. Fackrell she's a mormon mom and gives FHE ideas at the end of each chapter. It's pretty good, I haven't read the whole thing yet.
I like the Eyre Books, Rich and Linda, the Love and Logic Books are good they use them a lot in schools and my favorite baby book is "On becoming Babywise", however the Toddler version is not very good.
P.S. I took a class by Tamara Fackrell at BYU and would recommend anything she comes up with. She has some really good conflict resolution materials for older kids.
I love Parenting with Love and Logic. It's definitely a good concept. But as you can see, I haven't really focused on putting it into practice yet :(
Chrissy,
I like Babywise, Toddlerwise, Preschoolwise and Childwise, the Perfect Parent by a member and then I also like Scream Free Parenting. By the way, how can I join this group?
I couldn't have survived those first couple of months with Morgan without Babywise and "The Happiest Baby on the Block" by Harvey Karp. It definitely taught me about different techniques to calm a crying baby, as well as gave me insight to the different personalities and temperments they can have at such a young age!
Okay, I know this is cheesy but I've found that the more self-help books/talks whatever I read the better parent I am. I am definitely open to parenting books but I've noticed that when I feel at my best as a parent it is when I'm seeking out the best things for me. Sounds selfish I know but it has really helped me be a better mommy to my kids.
Post a Comment