Monday, May 5, 2008

Public Displays of Brattiness

Alright, another question. But please feel free to post your own! I don't want this to become just all of you solving all my issues! :) Although, that's nice for me. And if it won't let you, then email me and I'll post it!
So what do you do with a full-on temper tantrum in public? For example, grocery store freakouts, pushing kids down in the park, etc. At home it would of course be time-out. Do you make your own time out in a public place? Ignore it? Leave and go home? The last doesn't usually work because I either can't or am not willing to leave where I am. Any ideas?

4 comments:

The Boring Family said...

If you are at a place like the park, or a friend's house, I am all for time-out. It's about consistency with the consequences of an action. If I'm at a store and Morgan doesn't want to walk, she wants to be carried and I don't want to, I just start walking away, and she follows right along--I think because she's afraid of being left!

Skinners said...

Okay, I haven't tried this but I saw it on Supernanny once (she's great)! A mom was in the grocery store with her son and he began throwing a fit. Yelling, crying, the works. She very calmly found a place for him to sit and let him have his time out right there in the store! It worked! Also, this past weekend we were in Pueblo and I saw another mother do the same thing in a very public place. She had so many people walk up to her and compliment her on sticking to it! Woohoo for her!!! I am still a little hesitant more for my embarrassment but after what I saw last weekend I'm now more willing to try. Good luck!

Teri said...

I have struggled with this also. I might have to try the time out thing wherever we are too! Thanks

Janette said...

The last thing I will ever do for Avery is leave the store when she is having a tantrum. I feel if I do that, then she is going to have a tantrum every time I go to the store. It has been quite imbarrassing at times, but it's worth it. She has learned that tantrums will not get her what she wants & she rarely has tantrums in the store anymore. I have done time out in public...but for the public time out I usually cross her arms and hold her firmly for about a minute. I do this because if I allowed HER to try to do it on her own she would end up playing around.

I've recently come accross a new tactic rather than having to do time out...I mentioned it in an earlier post...when she starts acting up, I'll have her think of a couple of good girl treats she wants to work for for when we get home. This gives her the motivation to behave. As she misbehaves the fewer treats she gets. (a treat can be anything from yogurt, a favorite tv show, or pretty much anything she wants w/in reason...just to help her feel that she has some sort of control which is something Avery needs.) This may not work on younger kids though...we started this with her around her 3rd b-day. It's been quite effective.