Hey ladies! I’m sorry for writing a novel for you all to read, but I’ve been having a rough few weeks, and just wanted to share an experience I had yesterday that has make me feel a lot better about my role as a mother.
Okay, so yesterday wasn’t a terrible day. But it definitely wasn’t great either. Ivy woke up on the wrong side of the bed for sure. It’s never a good sign when the first thing I hear coming out of her bedroom is “NOOO! NOOOOOOOOO!” She is such a drama queen.
So anyway, I was expecting a package from UPS yesterday and I didn’t want to miss it, so we were stuck at home all day. Our house starts to feel really small when we don’t get a chance to go out at least once during the day. And I lost my temper more than once with Ivy. Finally when nap-time came around I was so excited. I got out all of my scrapbook stuff and scattered it across the kitchen table. But of course as soon as I sat down to get started Porter started to cry. And he continued crying for an hour and a half, which gave me about 10 minutes of free time before Ivy woke up from her nap. GRRRRR!
By the time John got home last night I was spent! I handed the kids over to him and retreated into my own little world, until it was time for Ivy to go to bed. So we all went into her room and said prayers, then gave kisses and put her to bed. About 30 minutes later I heard her door opening and closing. This is her new trick, and she just can’t seem to leave the doors alone. So I went in her room and told her I would lie down with her for a few minutes. It was the best thing I could have done! We sang primary songs and read stories, and I tickled her face until she was sleepy.
This just reminded me how important it is to remember the small things. She could care less if we’re stuck at home all day, and I can’t think of anything creative for her to do. She just wants me to hang out with her. It’s these little moments that make me love being a mom, and that make me remember that I love my kids, even on days that have been super hard!
Okay, so yesterday wasn’t a terrible day. But it definitely wasn’t great either. Ivy woke up on the wrong side of the bed for sure. It’s never a good sign when the first thing I hear coming out of her bedroom is “NOOO! NOOOOOOOOO!” She is such a drama queen.
So anyway, I was expecting a package from UPS yesterday and I didn’t want to miss it, so we were stuck at home all day. Our house starts to feel really small when we don’t get a chance to go out at least once during the day. And I lost my temper more than once with Ivy. Finally when nap-time came around I was so excited. I got out all of my scrapbook stuff and scattered it across the kitchen table. But of course as soon as I sat down to get started Porter started to cry. And he continued crying for an hour and a half, which gave me about 10 minutes of free time before Ivy woke up from her nap. GRRRRR!
By the time John got home last night I was spent! I handed the kids over to him and retreated into my own little world, until it was time for Ivy to go to bed. So we all went into her room and said prayers, then gave kisses and put her to bed. About 30 minutes later I heard her door opening and closing. This is her new trick, and she just can’t seem to leave the doors alone. So I went in her room and told her I would lie down with her for a few minutes. It was the best thing I could have done! We sang primary songs and read stories, and I tickled her face until she was sleepy.
This just reminded me how important it is to remember the small things. She could care less if we’re stuck at home all day, and I can’t think of anything creative for her to do. She just wants me to hang out with her. It’s these little moments that make me love being a mom, and that make me remember that I love my kids, even on days that have been super hard!
2 comments:
hmmm....isn't it weird how we all seem to be in the same situations? You have definately described a very similar circumstance in our household. It's so hard sometimes but those little moments somehow make it all worth it! (even if you didn't get any scrapbooking done right?) Maybe we could get Ivy and Kennedie together to play and we could try to get some scrapbooking done....I love to scrapbook!
Natalie, your post made me cry...because I can totally identify with it. Way to go when you went in to lay down with Ivy. I hesitate doing stuff like that because I'm worried about fostering bad habits, etc., but then I throw the stupid parenting books out the window and am SO REWARDED!!! You're such a great mom, and you can tell by how happy your two kids are.
Post a Comment