Monday, May 5, 2008

Sleeping Through the Night

Okay, so Logan is still trying to get in bed with us at night. We've started putting him in the crib when he won't stay in his bed (Chloe is in the pack-n-play in the other room) and that worked for a while. However, the other night he woke up and asked to go to the crib! Ahhh! Now what?

Also, Chloe is 5 months old now. She eats baby food (a stage 2 jar full) at 5:30, nurses at 6:30, eats cereal with banana between 8 and 9 and nurses and 9:30 and is down for the night. However, she is still waking up at least twice to eat at night! She can't be hungry! Any suggestions? I'm willing to let her cry but don't want to wake up my household (especially Logan being he has his own set of issues). What about moving Chloe into her bed in Logan's room? Does anybody have two kids in the same room? Do they wake eachother up?

7 comments:

Natalie said...

When we were trying to get Ivy to sleep through the night consistently we just went in her room and held her. That way she wasn't screaming bloody murder, and she knew we were there. But she also knew she wasn't going to get fed. I think it mostly worked because John was the one to hold her, and she knew she wasn't going to get food from him! It seriously only took one night of that though, and she got the hint. You could also take Chloe in your room or downstairs while she's crying so she doesn't wake Logan up, then just take her back into her bed when she's calm. Good luck!

Teri said...

We have gotten Andrew to sleep through the night for about two weeks but this last week has not been so easy....while I was reading your post about the schedule you have Chloe on I had the thought that maybe I'm not feeding Andrew enough before putting him to bed....he usually eats around 6:30-cereal and a 5 oz bottle but then I normally just put him to bed around 7:30 and he would sleep through the night, but he is a big boy, maybe I should give him a bottle at 7:30 or 8 and see if that helps out. He just seems so tired around 7:30 I have to put him to bed.(he doesn't nap well for me so by this time I need him to go down too!) Thanks for your insight!!

Janette said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janette said...

I had the same issues with Bella. I was going nuts because I wasn't getting any sleep. I had the same fear of having the whole family wake up...so I sacrificed and woke up every night with her. It was a month or so after she had turned one that I decided I couldn't do it anymore. I had tried going in her room to pop the binkie in her mouth, but once she saw me...it wasn't enough. The girls do share a room, so when we finally let Bella cry it out, Avery would come into bed with us. Donovan would put earplugs in. We had to do it a couple nights...probably cause I waited so long to do it. We also had to start from point A a couple times too as she would get sick and I wanted to comfort her. I'm happy to say that she now sleeps through the night.

With Logan I would suggest to just putting him back in his own bed. Maybe after a few nights of not getting the satisfaction of sleeping in bed w/you or in his crib, he won't continue trying it? We've been going through this with Avery recently. I've tried to do the treat thing w/Avery on this one, but it hasn't seemed to work. It's been a couple nights since she's tried slipping into bed with us. But that's the move I'm taking next, unless someone has a better idea.

The Boring Family said...

My sister put her girls in the same room at 5 weeks and 21 months, and she said it hasn't been a problem--neither wakes up to the other. I'm planning on moving my little one into the same room about the same age so Morgan gets the idea. I've noticed that Morgan doesn't want to fall back asleep by herself if she wakes up in the night, so Brian or I will sit by her bed and rest our head on her pillow with her so she knows we're there. I try not to wait until she's completely asleep to leave. I want her to still put herself to sleep, so she usually cries for a minute when we leave, but then is too tired to keep it up and just falls asleep.

For a while, Morgan liked going to bed with a couple of books to read. This was good because she was in her room, on her bed, and could fall asleep when she wanted (or when it got too dark to read), not by us forcing her to lay down. Now, we've figured out that if we extend bedtime to 8:00, she is usually ready to just lay down.

As far as Chloe--I would let her cry. She should figure it out in a couple of days that she's not going to eat. If she'll take a bottle, my doctor recommended offering a bottle of water. Then, if she wakes up, she'll quickly realize that it's not worth it for just water and start sleeping through the night (or longer, at least). It worked when Morgan was a baby. Waking up for water was not worth it to her.

Skinners said...

Thanks so much for your comments. We put them in the same room last night and when she did cry out Logan didn't move! He still got up in the night to get in bed with us but I kept taking him back. We've gone this route before but I would tell him Chloe needs him to watch her and that seemed to help. One step at a time. Next, Chloe sleeping all night!!!

Cam and Chelle said...

We kept Campbell out of Jace's room till about 5-6 months, then moved her in. Jace is a deep sleeper so it helps, but we just let Camper cry it out. The age difference also makes it easier for us, since Jace learned a long time ago to stay put in bed, so my advice is probably no good.
Jace would try to come in every night when he was about 2 so we made him sleep on the floor till we were sick of having him in there with us. Eventually we would just take him back in his room each night and he gave up.
Now, if he's upset or wants to be in our room, he has to get his own bedding and set up shop on the floor all by himself. That usually hinders him a bit.
Good luck, it's a nightmare!