Thursday, August 28, 2008

Working out...

So, since we are all trying to be Super-mommy trying to be everything our kids, husbands, friends, church groups, etc. need, I thought I'd squeeze in one more guilt trip :)

Actually, this started with a call to my Dad, who is sixty-one years old, and is currently training for his Senior Olympics. He's competing in swimming, track and field, bowling :), and running a 5K. He and my mom are both doing this, and they have really been encouraging me to start working out. I've always claimed there is no possible way I have time for this in my scheduling between my husband in school, two little boys, twenty-five music students and studying for the LSAT. But I was talking to Mackenzie on Sunday, who I have noticed is getting thinner by the day, and she told me that she tries to walk every day. It got me thinking...why can't I throw the boys in the stroller for a walk once a day? Granted, it's not running a few miles, but it IS doing SOMETHING. What I like about this is that it doesn't completely tire me out for the rest of the day, or take me away from my kids. And when I walk at a fast enough pace, I can feel my heart going, and let's face it - I'm also pushing 60 lbs. of toddler in front of me as well!

Anyway, I wondered what everyone else does to try to get some exercise. Post your ideas! Let's share the wealth, and we can ALL get really skinny!

4 comments:

Skinners said...

Sheesh! I was motivated one day this week and here you are doing it again. I think walking is a great start. One thing I have to overcome is knowing that it is okay not to have the laundry going, dishes done, floor mopped and showered and dressed by 8:30 or 9. I'm working on this so don't judge me if you see me at noon and I'm still in my pajamas!

Natalie said...

Oh man, it is so hard to find time to work out these days! But Tae Bo videos are great to do at home. They seriously give a great workout. And you can do it with kids which is helpful!

Kelley said...

I'm feeling super soft and the word "toned" brings back faint memories for me. Just tonight I was thinking about how great it would be if I could get to a gym (after a four year absence). I'd feel like a neanderthal in there, but before long I may come around. Here are my thoughts: Get a walking buddy and go at least three times a week. I used to do this and had two girl friends I'd meet up with at 8 a.m. We'd take a "rolling breakfast" for our kids and walk for about 45 min.
Idea #2- For the super-motivated momma...Go early to the GVR rec. center so the kids are asleep and dad is still home OR set up an a.m. workout/playdate trade with a friend.
Final idea- Commit to attending exercise group MWF at the church. The only drawback: Your kids go wild in the gym the entire time. At least mine did.

Janette said...

I've recently been trying really hard to get back into exercising. Some weeks and days are better than others. But what I have found to be most effective is waking up before the girls do. If I try to exercise after they wake up...it takes WAY too long because they want to do it with me or crawl all over me.

What I do for exercise...I have always loved weight training, but going to the gym is not a possibility. So I have gotten several sets of dumbbells varying from 2 - 15 lbs and a bench/stepper. There are so many different exercises you can do with just that equipment. Lots of women think that if they do weights they'll get bulky...but that is not true. You have to train a specific way in order to get bulky. The truth is, weight training burns more calories than a cardio workout...if you do it right. If you do cardio you are only burning calories while you are working out...if you do weights you continue to burn calories several hours after you finish working out. Don't get me wrong...you still need cardio to have a balanced exercise program. Plus it's good for your heart.

Anyway, to make this short story long...In addition to my weight training in the AM... I also try to turn my activities with the girls into a good cardio exercise. Instead of driving to the park...I'll put the girls in the bike trailer & bike there. It ends up being a good 30 minutes round trip. There are also so many paved bike trails around...some of which have playgrounds nearby. I'll ride my bike for a while with the girls in the trailer & bribe them with going to the playground if they are good. They actually enjoy riding in the trailer. They like to go fast. I'll also have them bring books to read in the trailer for when they get bored.

I'll also put on my jogging shoes, turn the trailer into a jogging stroller & take them to the zoo. Instead of walking from the car and from exibit to exibit...I'll run/jog.

Another thing I do occationally (I'm sure your opinion of me will change after this)...I'll just start running around the house or groove out to the girls music. They LOVE this and think it is so fun & they join me.

Well, that's some of what I try to do. I try to figure out how to turn my girls play into exercise for me.