Tuesday, July 29, 2008

One-year-old tantrums...

I guess I mostly need reassurance that my child is not possessed, and also some ideas on how to cope.

McKay has begun throwing MONSTER-size fits. I mean all-out, throw himself on the ground, screaming fits. He is so young! How did this happen? I have NO idea how to stop this, or discipline, or even survive it. I even (confessional) spanked him this morning, because I was so desperate. What can I do about this? He is generally a good, happy player, but lately if I don't do exactly what he wants, this is what he does, and he usually hurts himself. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 comments:

Carie Annie said...

When my kids were that age they would get really frustrated when I didn't understand what they wanted (because the couldn't talk yet)and would throw a fit. So do you think it could be something like that??

Liz said...

It's normal.As another blogger said,children get frustrated when they want to communicate with you and they can't find or say the words.Maybe if you played with the nap schedule,that might help too.Sometimes a change of routine works for tantrums.I hope this helps.

Trevor and Heather Caffall said...

My mom always said that when us kids were like this it always was followed up with a sickness or a new trick. Maybe he is getting ready to do carwheels or something. J/K actually, I've found with my kids it is mostly true :) They end up not feeling good, teeth (that's a constant at our house) or learn how to do something new... walk, run, talk...

Natalie said...

I think this is just totally normal. He'll probably calm down a bit when he can communicate a bit better. But then you'll be into another stage of something ;)Sorry, not to be pessimistic! But I agree with everyone else- it's just a stage.

The Boring Family said...

I remember when Morgan was this age and couldn't communicate very well. She wouldn't go to quite this extreme, but this is the age that I started to implement time out. She didn't completely understand why (obviously, she was barely one), but she quickly connected the bad behavior to confinement in her crib for 1-2 minutes (don't forget to set the timer!). That helped me a TON because I was able to step away from the situation and she was able to begin to connect her behaviors to a consequence.