sharing a room! We are in the new house now and LOVE it!! I don't know how I survived so long in a 2 bedroom apartment, probably because I didn't know what I was missing. Life is great with lots of space and places to actually put things. The one frustrating thing about it all is that I decided it was time for the boys to share a room and get the baby out of our closet!! So, although we have 3 bedrooms, the boys are sharing. Now, space wise, its great. We switched Edison from the transformed crib toddler bed, to a regular toddler bed, and retransformed the crib so Stewart could get out of the pack n play. The idea is great but Stewart is kind of struggling with his new bed. Neither are used to sharing a room so now bed time has become PLAY TIME! Edison just has to look at Stewart and he cracks up, which is adorable, and I love that they love to play together, but its horrible the next day when Edison is tired, cranky, and doesn't make very many good choices. Tonight I even put Stewart down 40 minutes before Edison but somehow, within 5 minutes, Stewart was awake, Edison had put his pillow, blanket, and bear in the crib, and they were just laughing together in the dark!!!!!!!! This has happened a few times this week. What do I do! I took Edison out and made him fall asleep in our room, but this has got to stop. Naptime in the afternoon used to be the only hard time but now, no matter how tired they both are, bedtime is now "laugh and play time". Did any of your kids do this when they first transitioned? Is this normal and how long will it last? Any suggestions, I would love some!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Shelley here are a couple of things I did: I'm not really sure if this will work with your kiddos, but I would say try to put whichever one is the deepest sleeper down first. Also, have you tried turning on some music so they can get used to having noise in the room? Hope it works out well! I'm glad you're loving the house.
Shelley, I am anxiously reading any responses to this, because my boys are both really struggling with bedtime as well. Mostly, McKay is struggling with the transition to a regular bed and that he can't just roam free. Good luck, sorry I have no advice! But thanks for voicing the problem, because I need help with the same thing.
We have had both our kids together since Camper was 6 months. Keep in mind Jace was almost 4 then. This is what worked for us:
We talked it over with Jace so he would understand the importance of what was happening and how fun it COULD be, would he like to have Camp in with him, would he remember that she is a baby and needs to get a good sleep, Would he be a good boy and stay in his bed, etc.. We put Campbell down first and the first couple nights were hard b/c Jace would climb in with Camp, but we would go in and separate them and start bedtime over. After about a week Jace gave it up.
NOW, they are sleeping in the same queen size bed together (Since Camper turned 18 mos). At first Campbell would get out and knock at the door so we'd put her back in bed. That took about 2 weeks. Now they will talk or sing for about 10 minutes before falling asleep but we've decided that is better than fighting them to sleep. Pre-bedtime routine is at 7:30, Bedtime is at 8, wake-up is at 7. Good luck!
Thank you all for your ideas. I agree with you Michelle that I did too many changes at once so we've separated them and will try again in a month. I'm sure when we do it again, we will have Edison climbing in with Stewart but hopefully, after a week, that will be done and life will be good again. As for now, we are trying to convince Edison just to stay in bed and once thats accomplished, we will throw a new trial in there. We'll see!
My girls have shared a room since Sadie was born (I don't do kids in my room at all!), and it's still a fight some nights. However, with the 3rd bedroom now, I put Sadie to sleep in the pack n play, then move her about 1/2 hour after the girls go to bed into her crib in their room. Sometimes Morgan's awake and sometimes she's asleep. Either way, they've had enough apart time that Morgan doesn't bother her.
I do it this way because I want my girls to have some shared room time (i.e. first thing in the morning), but can't quite handle the stress of an hour or more at bedtime! Good luck!
Okay, a little late on the posting here but Shelley, if you get this I hope it helps. My kids still like to play and they've been in the same room since Chloe was little. Here are some things that work for us depending on the mood! ;)
Blankies - If they play or Logan gets up I take their blankies. Yes they both cry but the point is made. Depending on how many times I've been in there already determines how long I keep them (a few minutes or the entire nap or night).
Pack-n-play - I only do this during nap time. Chloe is quite the instigator when it comes to trouble and if they just can't keep it down I move her to the pack-n-play in my room or the spare room and put Logan in the crib. This too causes crying but is effective.
Let them go - Sometimes I just let them go. I have let them play for 45 minutes or more before but they still have to nap/go to bed. Again, depends on my mood. Sometimes although I'm ready and I think they should be they aren't and I just have to let them have some time.
Okay, sorry so long. Hope this helps!
http://toddlerboredombusters.blogspot.com/
Is something I think you should add to your site. And she is in Colorado!
Post a Comment