Friday, September 26, 2008

Take A Breather

After lunch time we have had a little routine in our home. While Pen takes her nap, Eli has his "special quiet time". This is the hour and a half when I can work on my To Do list, take a power nap, return phone calls, etc. I feel better for having a little time on my own and Eli's remarkably happier from being removed from a typical day's pace. A couple of weeks ago I realized that this routine was no longer working for both parties involved. I've attempted to maintain structure while meeting everyone's needs, but can't seem to find a happy medium. Sometimes Eli and I work on things together and the time is well spent. Other days I feel robbed and worn thin. Today I tried to mix things up a little and asked Eli on an Eli's choice movie date. Within in minutes of starting the movie I fell asleep. This is not my idea of a productive afternoon. Now that I am not working on things mid-day, I try and squeeze it all in in the evening. I'm feeling unbalanced. Going to bed late every night is exhausting me.

I'm interested in hearing your feedback. What works for your family? How do you get things done? Is it a mindset? Your ideas for engaging activities. Is this kind of down time necessary?

This is an invitation for maternal enlightenment!

4 comments:

Natalie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Natalie said...

I just posted and realized that I really didn't answer your question, so here's a second try. This can be so hard! Mommies really do need some time away from their kids, and they need it too. Don't feel bad about giving Eli some space. I think it is good for kids to learn to be by themselves occasionally. You are doing great, and I'm sure you accomplish WAY more than I do! I think it's all about setting your priorities. Not everything can be #1.

The Carlson Crew said...

I'm with Natalie...I think we all need a little time to accomplish things. What about letting Eli choose one activity to do together: puzzles, coloring, playdoh, whatever, and once that activity is done, he needs to find his own quiet time activity. Would he allow you to go on with something of your own once you've spent a little time together? Let me know what you come up with!

Kelley said...

Thanks girls. I really value your feedback and support!