Thursday, November 6, 2008

I don't know what to call this post...........

Hi everyone. We are kind of at a rough spot with Logan lately. Since we started potty training (which he has/is doing awesome at) he has been super defiant and a flat out brat. I have tried every attempt to reason, get mad (I know, I know, bad mom) reward, punish and whatever else I can think of to help him see what is and isn't acceptable behavior. He is getting up at least twice in the night to tell me he is wet and I know he is a little more tired during the day (he fell asleep in timeout today) so I'm thinking this might attribute to it some. He is usually such a happy kid but lately has been mean and grouchy. Please help me! I know it is probably a phase but I also feel some very vital lessons (such as not talking back, listening, being nice, etc) are being learned here and I need to be consistent. I am at a complete loss! Help please!

2 comments:

Cam and Chelle said...

Oh C, I'm so so sorry! What a hard time, I remember it being that way too! I was a monster mommy! Something we have been doing lately that seems to be helping is at FHE we are using the lesson time to talk about things in our family that need work, being polite, patient, reverant, etc. We talk about why it's important, and we practice (role play), and we make sure to not point fingers or call anybody out... We have lessons specifically for me or Cam sometimes, too.
Another thing I've learned is I can't threaten anything I'm not willing to follow through on. I threaten taking away pre-school, toys, early bedtime, 10 minute time-outs, soap in the mouth. And always follow with love, even just a hug and even if you don't feel like it. It's a hard route, potty training, but you have to do it for your kiddies to be successful! Good luck!

The Carlson Crew said...

Courtney, we've already exhausted this topic between us, I think, but I just thought it might help us both to remind us of something that always works: slowing down and taking time. Thanks for that advice you reminded me of the other day. The boys and I had a MUCH better day today, because I was willing to take time away from my "to do" list and focus on not just their needs, but wants: playtime, reading time, schooltime, etc. You're so awesome at this! Keep up the good work!